Makes around 16 Koftas.
Spinach Koftas turn delicious and my children simply love them. During Winters plenty of this herb is grown in my vegetable patch along with other herbs and vegetables. It is during this season that I make these Koftas picking fresh leaves of Spinach from my garden.
Ingredients for Koftas :
1. A big bunch of Spinach. Chopped
2. Paneer 200g
3. Bread 3 slices
4. Phool Makhana 20 to 25. Soaked, squeezed and kept aside
5. Green Chilly to taste, chopped
6. Salt to taste
7. Corn flour 3 tbsps
8. Garam masala powder 1 tsp
9. Keshew+Kismis half cup. Chopped
10. Oil to fry the Koftas
Ingredients for Gravy :
1. 3 Onions, grated fine
2. 3 big Tomatoes. Skinned, seeded and pureed
3. 1 tsp Ginger paste
4. 1 tsp Garlic paste
5. 2 tsp Coriander powder
6. 1 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder
7. 3 to 4 tbsp Almond paste. (Soak in water for half an hour, remove the skin before making paste)
8. 3 tbsp Poppy seed paste (Soak in water for half an hour before making paste)
9. 2 tbsp Oil
10. Salt to taste
11. 2 glasses of hot Water
12. Sugar (Optional) to taste
13. 100 g Cream to garnish
Method of making Koftas :
1. Soutè Spinach in little oil and salt. Cover and cook till water dries up and it is done. Keep aside to cool
2. Grind cooked Spinach in a mixie (do not add water)
3. Take Paneer in a bowl and knead very well till it is soft. Kneading should be good so that the koftas turn soft and can soak gravy well.
4. Mix all ingredients for Kofta along with the Spinach.
5. Heat oil and deep fry Koftas in low heat for long time so that the inside is cooked. Do not make the size too big or they might break while frying. Flatten while making the balls as seen in picture.
Method of making Gravy :
1. Heat oil, put in Onion, Ginger, Garlic fry for a few minutes.
2. Add Almond paste, Poppy seed paste and fry a little more.
3. Add Salt, Sugar, Coriander powder, Chilly powder fry for a minute or two.
4. Finally add Tomato, keep stirring continuously till the masala leaves the sides of the karahi/wok/pan.
5. Put in the hot Water and let it boil.
6. Check taste for salt, sugar etc. Let the gravy remain watery. Keep aside.
Final Part :
1. Arrange Koftas on a shallow serving dish.
2. Pour the very hot gravy on Koftas.
3. Make sure to pour the gravy at least an hour or so before serving, so that the Koftas are well soaked in the gravy.
4. Heat the whole dish in an oven in case it gets too cold to serve.
5. Decorate with whipped cream and serve.